Most of us have experienced that foreign body sensation that happens if the wind blows dust or sand under an eyelid. That uncomfortable feeling must be relieved and quickly. For many of us, that same feeling of grittiness, dryness, burning or stinging or even excessive tearing cannot be relieved simply and could be the sign of a chronic condition known as Dry Eye Syndrome.
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms below, you may need further evaluation.
1. Do you spend a lot of time reading or working on a computer?
2. Do you live or work in a dry, windy, or smoky environment?
3. Do you wear contact lenses but find you are not able to tolerate them as long as you have in the past of have given up on wearing them because of the pain involved?
4. Have you been diagnosed with Diabetes, Hay Fever, or other allergies, thyroid disease, arthritis, etc.?
5. Are you taking medications like Zoloft, diuretics, antihistamines, acne medication or other allergy medication?
6. Have you had eyelid surgery, LASIK or other laser vision correction surgery?
7. Are you a woman experiencing hormonal changes?
8. Are you a man or woman over the age of 40?